What goes inside green cart
Place all green waste and food scraps inside your green cart, which is serviced every week. The following items go into your green cart:
- Plant and grass clippings
- Weeds and roots
- Leaves, twigs, and small branches – up to 4 feet in length and 6 inches in diameter
- Uncoated wood, wood chips, bark, and sawdust
- All food products, including meat and small bones
- Coffee grounds and tea bags
- Food-soiled paper products such as pizza boxes, paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins
- Waxed paper containers such as milk cartons and paper cups
What does NOT go inside green cart
No plastic, glass, or metal should ever go in the green waste (organics0 cart—quality compost starts with yard trimmings and food scraps.
- Rocks, dirt, concrete
- Pressure-treated or painted wood
- Plastic bags – not even the “compostable” ones, which clog up machinery and must be removed by hand
- Palm leaves or cactus
- Glass, metal, styrofoam, liquids
Recyclables and Compostables: Think Before You Toss!
Duration: 15 seconds
Oro Loma Sanitary District says Think Before You Toss! Put recyclables – like bottles and cans – in the recycling bin and compostables – like food scraps and grass trimmings – in the green bin. Let’s all reduce what goes into the landfill.